Looking for the best Marcus Aurelius quotes? We have collected a collection of the best Marcus Aurelius quotes about life, love, death, leadership, stoicism, and more to totally inspire you. Also, check Confucius quotes to assist you in living life.
Who was Marcus Aurelius?
Marcus Aurelius is one of the most respected emperors in the history of the Roman Empire. He was born during the reign of Emperor Hadrian, into a politically powerful and wealthy family. His interests were in stoicism, an area of philosophy that emphasizes positive feelings, reducing negativity, and helping people to enhance their characters.
At the age of 17, Marcus was adopted and became the son of Antoninus. He continued working alongside his new father getting immersed in government and public affairs. In 140, 145, and 161, he served as the senate leader (consul). Here are a few facts about Marcus Aurelius;
Marcus Aurelius Facts and What he has known for:
- After the death of Antoninus in 161, Marcus assumed power.
- His adopted brother Lucius Aurelius Verus Augustus also became a co-ruler.
- Marcus is best remembered for his reason-driven ruling style and for protecting the empire from the Parthians and Germans.
- His death marked the end of pax Romana and the eventual fall of the empire.
- His thoughts are captured in The Meditations, a one-of-a-kind book that will captivate any reader interested in personal ethics, self-discipline, self-actualization, strength, and humility.
We have rounded up the best collection of Marcus Aurelius’ quotes about life, love, death, leadership, stoicism, and more to inspire you big time. Sit back and enjoy.
I have divided these Marcus Aurelius quotes into the below sections:
- Marcus Aurelius Quotes about Life
- Marcus Aurelius Quotes about Love
- Marcus Aurelius Quotes about Death
- Marcus Aurelius Quotes about Leadership
- Marcus Aurelius Quotes about Stoicism
Marcus Aurelius Quotes about Life
Marcus Aurelius Quotes about Love
Marcus Aurelius Quotes about Death
Marcus Aurelius Quotes about Leadership
Marcus Aurelius Quotes about Stoicism
For almost two decades, Marcus Aurelius was a respected emperor of the Roman Empire from 161 till his death in 180. He held a lot of power and occupied the most powerful leadership position in the world at that time. If he so wished, nothing was out of reach. For example, he was able to appoint his 16-year son as his successor, deviating from the Roman norm of adopting a professional as heir to the throne.
In addition to this, Marcus was a dedicated student and learned Greek and Latin as he was growing up. He is today remembered not just as the most respected Roman emperor, but as a staid philosopher as well. He is considered the father of Stoicism.
Being an avid philosopher and leader, Marcus is therefore a great source of quotes. His thoughts are captured in a book (that was not even intended for publication) called The Meditations. From this, we have created a list of the top Marcus Aurelius quotes about life, love, death, leadership, and stoicism that will inspire you beyond words.
In addition to Marcus Aurelius quotes, we have also included a brief history about Marcus Aurelius early life and how he ended up as the most respected Roman Emperor of his time.