With his passionate commentary, colorful language, and Southern drawl, Munson brought the action on the field to life in a way few others could.
And his quotes? Let’s just say they’re the stuff of legend. Larry Munson’s quotes have become part of Georgia football lore, and his impact on the team and the world of sports broadcasting is still felt today.
In this article, we’re going to take a deep dive into the most famous quotes by Larry Munson, his unique broadcasting style, and his lasting impact on Georgia football. So grab a cold one, settle into your favorite chair, and let’s get started.
Who is Larry Munson
Larry Munson was an American sportscaster best known for his career as the play-by-play announcer for the Georgia Bulldogs football team.
Here are a few interesting facts about Munson:
- Munson didn’t start his broadcasting career until he was in his 40s. Before that, he worked in advertising and public relations.
- Munson was known for his colorful language and his unique sayings, many of which have become part of Georgia football lore.
- Munson’s last game as a broadcaster was the 2008 Georgia Tech game, which he called from home due to health issues. He passed away in 2011 at the age of 89.
- Munson was inducted into the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association Hall of Fame in 2003 and inducted into the Georgia Sports Hall of Fame in 2006.
- Munson was known for his love of music, particularly jazz and blues. He often played music on his radio show and even sang the national anthem before a Georgia basketball game in the 1980s.
Larry Munson Quotes Every Sports Enthusiast Should Know
- There is no tradition more worthy of envy, no institution worthy of such loyalty, as the University of Georgia.
- Oh, my goodness, we just stepped on a land mine!
- My heart just stopped! I’m gonna need a defibrillator!
- Oh, my goodness, we got a touchdown!
- Oh, my word, we just pulled off the upset!
- This is the most exciting football game I’ve ever seen in my life!… Oh, wait, no it’s not.
- It’s a beautiful day in Athens, Georgia, and it looks like it’s gonna stay that way forever.
- Oh, my goodness, we just made history!
- The good Lord must be a Dawg fan.
- Oh, my goodness, what a finish!
- Hunker down, folks, it’s gonna be a long night!
- Oh, what a beautiful morning! What a beautiful day! I got a beautiful feeling, everything’s going my way!
- My, oh my, what a catch! That’s why they call him ‘Handsome’.
- Oh, what a heartbreaking loss! But that’s why we love this game!
- Run, run, run! Don’t look back! Just keep running!
- Oh, the good old days when you could tell the good guys from the bad guys. Now you can’t tell the good guys from the bad guys.
- The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and we’re getting our asses kicked.
- Oh, don’t worry about the game. It’s over. We lost.
- It’s a great day for football, but a better day for the Bulldogs!
- Oh, what a beautiful play! The fans are going wild!
- It’s not over ’til it’s over, but it’s getting late early.
- We just got beat by a bunch of guys who couldn’t spell ‘cat’ if you spotted them the ‘c’ and the ‘a’!
- Oh, my goodness! What a play! The stadium is shaking!
- Oh, no, no, no! That’s not the way we wanted it to end!
- We may not have won the game, but we sure as heck won the party!
- If you can’t be a good example, then you’ll just have to be a horrible warning.
- It’s not how you start, it’s how you finish.
- There is no such thing as an impossible dream.
- It’s not how many times you get knocked down, it’s how many times you get back up.
- If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again.
- It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog.
Famous Larry Munson Quotes
- You can do anything you set your mind to.
- Oh, my goodness gracious sake alive! Holy smokes!
- You can hang the ‘W’ on the Georgia Bulldogs!
- It’s a long way to Atlanta, but it’s a short way to Jacksonville!
- That’s why they play the games, folks!
- We just stepped on their face with a hobnailed boot and broke their nose!
- We got it! We got it! We got it!
- The good Lord is smiling down on Athens!
- It’s time to get the old Georgia spirit back!
- Our boys are gonna win this one!
- Oh, my God, the agony of it all!
Did you find these quotes by Larry Munson inspiring?
Did you find these quotes by Larry Munson inspiring? We hope so. Munson’s words offer a glimpse into the passion and excitement that he brought to every game he called.
His love for the game of football and for the Georgia Bulldogs was infectious, and his iconic voice will forever be associated with some of the greatest moments in college football history.